[mythtv-users] Video quality on 0.28 worse than it was on 0.21

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 16:33:59 UTC 2018

Using the same settings on the new 16.04 install I have bad tearing when
the boards pan on Jeopardy where I did not on 8.04.  As far as I can tell,
everything is the same. I still have the 8.04 HD, which has serious issues
but will play so I am able to compare the silky smooth performance of 0.21
to the jerky performance of 0.28

Most things are the same as described below.  The differences are that I am
aware of are that the new driver is 304 (which I confirmed is in use with
additional-drivers) and the 8.04 system used 180.

The other difference is that on the 16.04 system the nvidia-settings icon
does not launch anything. It is just like clicking on air. I Googled this
and found several people with the same problem and nobody with an answer.
Maybe the problems are related

The hardware is a M3A with AMI 5400, Geforce 6200 LE video card.

I put the same xorg.conf file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf

I created the same custom playback profile
If rez > 0 0 -> ffmpeg & XVideo
xv-blit softblend
Bob(2x) Linear blend

I have dual displays only one has myth.  Here is its xorg.conf section from
the 2008 file I transferred over to the new disk.  I rebooted after loading
the xorg.conf file

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen1"
        Device          "Videocard1"
        Monitor         "MythMonitor"
        Option          "TwinView"      "0"
        Option          "metamodes"     "DFP: 1280x720_60 +0+0"
        Option          "AddARGBGLXVisuals"     "True"
        # this next line will be ignored with the TV and the default, auto
will be used
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   24
        EndSubSection
        Defaultdepth    24
EndSection

This list has been tremendously helpful on my other problems so I am
hopeful I don't have to go back to 8.04 although at this point I can make a
case for doing that.

Allen