[mythtv-users] Monitor issues

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 15:51:30 UTC 2018

Thanks for the reply. I really do appreciate the help.

I previously had a 6000 series card with the 304 drivers as recommended but
not installed.  When I switched to the 8600 card the recommended driver was
340 and I installed them.

I spent at lease an hour with Google looking for a solution to the tiny
font problem.  The problem is that the font is not just tiny, it is
completely unreadable so it is impossible to do anything.  I can best
describe it as this.  If the text should be "hello World" what I would see
is "__".  OK, not quite that small but probably font that is 3 pixels
high.  Bottom line is I can't do anything other than use Myth, which is
fine. Here is a screen shot and it really does look like this.

I also see that if I go to my monitor instead of the TV, there I can read
the characters sometimes but the monitor is being detected as a smaller
resolution. I can't tell exactly what size as that readout is too blurry
but I think it is 480 x something and not the 1280 or whatever the monitor
actually is. I suspect these problems are related.

Also, I appreciate the links from mtdean but I can't do anything on the TV
as a monitor because of the small fonts.  Here is a section from xorg.conf
that seems to lack specifics

*Section "Monitor"*
*    Identifier     "Monitor0"*
*    VendorName     "Unknown"*
*    ModelName      "Unknown"*
*    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0*
*    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0*
*    Option         "DPMS"*
*EndSection*

*Section "Device"*
*    Identifier     "Device0"*
*    Driver         "nvidia"*
*    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"*
*EndSection*

*Section "Screen"*
*    Identifier     "Screen0"*
*    Device         "Device0"*
*    Monitor        "Monitor0"*
*    DefaultDepth    24*
*    SubSection     "Display"*
*        Depth       24*
*    EndSubSection*

I guess I will switch back to the 304 driver.  Just to confirm I so this by
doing this:

*sudo apt-get purge nvidia**
*sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers*
*sudo apt-get update*
*sudo apt-get install nvidia-304*

Allen