[mythtv-users] lircd setup with hdhomerun kludge

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Aug 21 16:16:46 UTC 2018

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 08:22:58 -0700, you wrote:

lirc in 16.04 is a quite old version (0.9.0).  The version in 18.04 is
0.10.0, and its Python configuration tools are badly broken - clearly
no one ever tested them.  They can not find their libraries and crash
when run.  I believe lircd itself is fine, and if the config files can
be manually created it will work.  And it is rather more capable than
0.9.0.  But I have not actually verified that as I have not upgraded
any of my running systems to 18.04.1 yet.

So your choice of 16.04 is fortuitous - you need a working lirc, and
18.04 does not have one yet.

>Everything works but I am still not happy killing lircd before starting it
>myself.
>
>1) I am surprised that entering the correct UDP ports in frontend setup
>didn't work.
>
>2) Assuming I still need to use rc.local, which I have no problem with as
>it works, I want to disable whatever else is starting lircd.  Perhaps it is
>this file:
>
>Would /etc/lirc/hardward.conf be the file to edit?
>
>#Enable lircd
>START_LIRCD="true"
>
>#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
>#START_LIRCMD="false"
>
>Allen

No, not in 16.04.  16.04 uses systemd to control and start things.  So
to disable lircd from starting at boot, you need to do this:

sudo systemctl disable lirc

When you want to start lircd later, the command is:

sudo systemctl start lirc

You do not need the sudo from rc.local.

With systemd, using rc.local is regarded as the wrong way of doing
things, but there is a very steep learning curve with systemd to work
out the right way of doing things, and rc.local does still work.