[mythtv-users] db restore

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Aug 12 02:29:38 UTC 2018

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 21:40:26 -0400, you wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Stephen Worthington <
>> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>>> Yes, they all need separate mount points - only one drive can mount on
>>> the /media/daryl mount point.  The normal place to put fixed mount
>>> points in Ubuntu is in /mnt.  The /media directory is used for
>>> automounts.  If you plug in a USB disk or flash drive, or put a CD or
>>> DVD in an optical drive, in Ubuntu it will normally automount itself
>>> in a new directory made from the drive label under /media/daryl, and
>>> also automatically appear in the disk software such as Nautilus as a
>>> disk icon.  So doing fixed mount points on /media/daryl will stop that
>>> automounting from working.  I would recommend doing this:
>>>
>>> sudo mkdir /mnt/storage1
>>> sudo mkdir /mnt/storage2
>>> sudo mkdir /mnt/storage3
>>> chmod a=rwx /mnt/storage1
>>> chmod a=rwx /mnt/storage2
>>> chmod a=rwx /mnt/storage3
>>>
>>> and then changing those three lines in /etc/fstab to:
>>>
>>> LABEL=storage1 /mnt/storage1    ext4 defaults    0       2
>>> LABEL=storage2 /mnt/storage2    ext4 defaults    0       2
>>> LABEL=storage3 /mnt/storage3    ext4 defaults    0       2
>>>
>>> Note that I have also changed the 1 at the end of those lines to 2.
>>> Only the disk mounted on / should have pass 1 setting in fstab.  All
>>> other disks should be pass 2 (or 0 for special mount points like
>>> /proc).  The pass number tells the boot process that all drives with
>>> pass 1 are to be checked and made available in the early boot process.
>>> But only the / drive needs to be made available that early - the other
>>> drives should be left for the normal mounting process later.
>>>

>> Much obliged Stephen, all changes worked well.
>>

>I replied too soon, I can't access previous recordings and new ones don'
>play properly. fstab looks like this:
># / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
>UUID=06336f2d-051d-4900-bb9f-ccb6f81d5bd5 /               ext4
>errors=remount-ro 0       1
># swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
>UUID=47904312-a99f-46dd-ae81-5f0fff64df5e none            swap    sw
>      0       0
>LABEL=storage1 /mnt/storage1    ext4        defaults    0       2
>LABEL=storage2 /mnt/storage2    ext4        defaults    0       2
>LABEL=storage3 /mnt/storage3    ext4        defaults    0       2
>
>the default storage directories in myth BE setup are /mnt/storage1,
>/mnt/storage2, /mnt/satorage3/
>recordings were green when I was using /media/daryl, red since. Any
>suggestons?

On looking back through this thread, I noticed I had left the sudo off
the chmod commands, so they probably did not work.  To fix that, do
this:

sudo umount /mnt/storage1
sudo chmod a=rwx /mnt/storage1
sudo mount /mnt/storage1
sudo umount /mnt/storage2
sudo chmod a=rwx /mnt/storage2
sudo mount /mnt/storage2
sudo umount /mnt/storage3
sudo chmod a=rwx /mnt/storage3
sudo mount /mnt/storage3

Then make sure that you can properly access the mounted drives from
the daryl account.  So, without using sudo, do these commands:

cd /mnt/storage1
echo "test string" >testfile
ls -al testfile
cat testfile
rm testfile
ls -al testfile

The results should look something like this:

stephen at mypvr:~$ cd /mnt/rec1
stephen at mypvr:/mnt/rec1$ echo "test string" >testfile
stephen at mypvr:/mnt/rec1$ ls -al testfile
-rw-rw-r-- 1 stephen stephen 12 Aug 12 14:09 testfile
stephen at mypvr:/mnt/rec1$ cat testfile
test string
stephen at mypvr:/mnt/rec1$ rm testfile
stephen at mypvr:/mnt/rec1$ ls -al testfile
ls: cannot access 'testfile': No such file or directory
stephen at mypvr:/mnt/rec1$

If all that works, then your permissions should be correct.

Next, where on your storage partitions are your recording files
stored?  Best practice is to have them in a subdirectory.  I use
"recordings" for that.  So the storage directories that I put into
mythtv-setup are like this:

/mnt/rec1/recordings

The reason for doing that is to do with how a mount point works.  If
there is nothing mounted on a mount point, it will still point to a
directory, but likely on the root drive.  That directory can be used
for recording to, but will be in the wrong place, and will likely
cause the / partition to fill up rapidly.  If the storage group points
to a subdirectory under the mount point, then MythTV will be looking
for /mnt/storage1/recordings.  So when it looks for that directory on
a mount point which is not actually mounted at the time, it will not
see it and will not record to it.

The next problem to look for is different ownership.  When you create
a new Linux system, the numbers assigned to owner and group names all
change (except for root).  So if your recording files were created
using owner daryl and group mythtv on an old system, they will almost
certainly be using different numbers for those two names on your new
system.  So you may need to do a chown command on all the recording
files to fix that.  To see if that is the case, please post the
results of changing to one of the directories where you have your
recording files and doing this command:

ls -al | head -n 10