[mythtv-users] Running rsnapshot on a combined frontend/backend

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sat Aug 11 17:04:37 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 6:28:43 PM MDT Ian Evans wrote:
> For anyone running multiple things on their mythtv systems, I'm wondering
> if running rsnapshot hourly on my combined frontend/backend will be taxing.
> Plan to back up my remote mail server for my site.
>
> Currently have 2gb of memory but was thinking of doubling it.

I use my FE/BE to collect rsyncs for all my machines and my music collection
and it hasn't (that I have noticed) affected my recordings, many of which are
made during a flurry of rsyncs overnight. I rsync my music collection whenever
I make new rips and have never had to be concerned about when I do them.

To make your rsnapshots a little easier on your system, use 'nice' and
'ionice'. Disk I/O and CPU are more relevant to rsync than RAM.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca