[mythtv-users] can't set wakealarm

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Aug 11 04:04:55 UTC 2018

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 19:56:39 -0700, you wrote:

>On 08/10/2018 06:59 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> Hmm, there were two copies of those instructions in the wiki, I was following the second set. The first set had the sudo bash
>>> stuff in it, the second set did not.
>>> The page has not been modified since 2016.
>>>

>> Newer versions of Ubuntu, and other distributions,  have systemd. If you have Linux with systemd you need to use a command
>> like this
>>
>> sudo rtcwake -m no -a -t $biostime
>>
>> Look at the man page for rtcwake. Also see the wiki page at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup#Ubuntu
>>
>> Peter

>The problem is not systemd. MythTV was working fine with Mint 18 through 18.3, and those versions also had systemd.
>
>I have finally identified the problem. MythTV does not call setwakeup.sh if it does not find anything to record.
>
>This is a problem because if nothing else wakes up the backend system, mythfilldatabase will not be run, and the system will not
>notice new items in the schedule because it has an out of date schedule.
>
>MythTV should schedule a wakeup to run mythfilldatabase when it does not find anything else in its schedule. It should schedule
>a wakeup for mythfilldatabase anyway if the scheduled event would happen after it runs out of schedule for any channel.

The sounds like you need to schedule the next wakeup yourself when the
shutdown happens if there is not going to be wakeup before the next
mythfilldatabase time.  You can use the API to find out when the next
recording time will be.  Take a look at what my Python "gaps" program
does:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/gaps