[mythtv-users] Recommendations needed for new FE box

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 13:59:07 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 11:59 AM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 12:30 PM Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 8:43 AM Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> What's the downside of using the regular Mythfrontend on a Pi 3?
>>>

>> I sort of have it working. The playback and audio are OK, but it stutters
>> if I try to use time stretch. Since that is a major feature for me when
>> watching football or baseball games, I have not yet replaced my Zotac ION
>> front end with the Pi3 yet. I do have the decoder license in place, but
>> nothing I have tried has allowed time stretch to work correctly. The Wiki
>> page for using a Pi as a frontend says that time stretch can work up to
>> about 2x, but it has never worked right for me.
>>

> Thanks.  I usually don't use the time stretch feature, so that wouldn't be
> a deal breaker for me.
>
> Kodi is a great media player for sure, but MythTV's comm skipping is the
deal breaker for me.  1 button skip is something I refuse to give up, and
in Kodi, it is either auto-skip on or off.  If MythTV's commflagging is off
(and it often is), Kodi will just jump to the end and quit playback with no
way to correct it before it quits to the menu.  I have discussed with the
MythTV Plugin coder and he was trying to get Kodi devs to implement the
"notify" feature like MythTV has, but it gained no traction, so I do not
think it will land.

That is my only deal breaker with using Kodi to watching recordings with
Kodi.

-Greg