[mythtv-users] hangups/slowdowns after upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04/mythtv 29

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Aug 1 01:57:29 UTC 2018

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 19:41:15 -0500, you wrote:

>My backend system recently died, and as part of the replacement, I decided
>to upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04 and mythtv 0.28 to Ubuntu 18.04 and mythtv 29.
>Since then I've had several issues. I ironed most of them out, but two
>linger:
>1) The time between starting playback of a recording and that recording
>actually playing (when it says "Please Wait") is about 8 seconds. It used
>to be about 2 or so.
>2) When exiting the "Watch Recordings" screen, the frontend will hang for
>about two minutes or so, sometimes longer (it has taken over 5 minutes, at
>which time the WAF got so low I had to restart the frontend rather than
>wait it out).
>
>I've enabled debug-level logging on the front end, but I get literally
>nothing while it waits. I've checked the backend logs as well, but I've
>seen nothing useful there. I've done some searches in the mailing list
>archive, but haven't come up with anything there either.
>
>Any ideas? Logs to look at, settings to check?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Paul

The start playing time could be a hard drive that has to spin up.  You
can use hdparm to see the state of a drive:

root at mypvr:~# hdparm -C /dev/disk/by-label/rec1

/dev/disk/by-label/rec1:
 drive state is:  active/idle
root at mypvr:~# hdparm -C /dev/disk/by-label/vid3

/dev/disk/by-label/vid3:
 drive state is:  standby

I have never met your long timeout to exit "Watch Recordings", but I
am still using 16.04 with v29.