[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 15:12:42 UTC 2018

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 12:36 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 01:09:18 +0000, you wrote:
>

> >wohoo!!! this did it! THANK YOU!!!
> >
> >Now - minor stuff:
> >
> >1. When i go to themes on remote frontend - i only see 3. Classic,
> >Classic-Wide and Terra.
>
> You need to get mythfrontend to download other themes.  It should
> download the list of themes when you go into the theme chooser.  If it
> has not, then from in the theme chooser, M(menu) and select Refresh
> Downloadable Themes.  You probably tried before when your networking
> was not working.

Pressing menu and doing again worked! Thank you!

> >2. Audio - I think I need to choose HDMI but if i do that - TrueHD doesn't
> >work. If I select iecxxxx- I think DTS-HD won't work - not sure. But the
> >real part - wrong speakers light up when doing the test.
>
> HDMI can be limited as to what it will pass through.  If your TV does
> not do TrueHD, then it is unlikely an HDMI connection to your TV will
> do TrueHD as the TV will not pass it through.  If the HDMI goes to
> your receiver/amp then maybe it will work.

My HDMI is going out to my Denon receiver - Somehow if I set this to iecxxx
- I can hear the TrueHD movies. If I have HDMI - no sound. Not sure why.

> >Someone suggested correcting it in asound.conf - but that's empty. I think
> >I need to edit that one with the correct layout. I haven't looked at the
> >sample asound.conf but now I am on to that.
>
> Check your old Ion setup to see if it has an asound.conf file.  If
> not, then this mailing list has had posts about this exact problem
> several times, so if you can find them there will be examples of what
> to put in /etc/asound.conf.  ALSA is a pain to set up - it is much
> better if you have an example to work from.

I saw this post here for the wrong speaker piece for Zotac:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tutorial

That fixed it (however TrueHD only works if i select IEC option on audio
card) - i understand this was more for which channel to which speaker

> >3. H.265 plays extremely choppy! It plays perfect on the backend server. I
> >have ethernet 1G connection everywhere in the house so network can't be
> >it..?
>
> Ion Nvidia GPUs are way too old to do accelerated H.265.  That is only
> done by the very newest Nvidia cards (1000 series, I think).  And
> since your Ion has already demonstrated that it is too slow to do even
> H.264 with its CPU only, then it is certainly not going to be able to
> do H.265.  Your backend box is likely doing H.265 using its CPU.  You
> may be forced to transcode H.265 to H.264 to be able to play H.265
> files on the Ion frontend.

Thank you - I already got a handbrake'ed copy with H.264 - I was just
wondering. Makes sense about this being underpowered for the HEVC piece.