[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 15:43:24 UTC 2018

Hi Ashu!

>> I set the playback same as I had on my 0.27 - VDPAU slim. However, no luck.
>> I changed it to Auto - and still no luck.
>>
>> Another issue (non-issue at this stage - will bring it up as i progress
>> here) is the audio. When I do test - the center channel plays on my
>> surround rear speaker. But I digress. The choppy video is what makes this a
>> show stopper here for now.

A quick guide based on some of my old notes:

    For /Current Video Playback Profile/ options (Playback Profiles 3/8):

    See /MythTV – Video Playback APIs.odt/for details.

    VDPAU: nVidia

    CrystalHD: Broadcom

    VAAPI: AMD and Intel

    DxVA2: Windows

    VDA: OSX

Sort of translates as "for an nVidia video care I want to select a VDPAU
option", etc.  The "See Mythtv...odt" is here:

    https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Choosing_Frontend_Hardware

    lspci | grep -i vga Other options at Hardware Determination
    Discovery.odt

        Hardware Playback

    MythTV currently supports two hardware playback APIs that offer the
    ability to offload decoding from the CPU to another device. While
    these devices can be used to breathe life into an otherwise
    underpowered system, hardware decoders will never be as robust or
    flexible as software decoders, and *it is recommended one chose a
    system with enough CPU power that it can be fallen back on if needed*.

          VDPAU <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU>

    This API is available on any nVidia card, 8 series or newer. It
    supports full offloading of MPEG-2, H.264, and VC1. The availability
    of this allows older and slower systems, notably the ION platform,
    to remain useful with video content that far exceeds the capability
    of the processor.

          Crystal HD <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Broadcom_Crystal_HD>

    This API is used on a series of Broadcom MiniPCIe and ExpressCard
    adapters for use in laptops and small form factor systems. These
    devices offer similar capabilities to VDPAU, but exist for decoding
    only. A separate video card will need to be used for output.

          VAAPI <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VAAPI>

    This decode API is currently in use by AMD and Intel for use on
    their graphics hardware. Support for this was recently added to the
    development branch, to be available with the upcoming release of
    0.25. Decoding capability using this should be comparable to VDPAU,
    however the nVidia solution is still preferred due to its maturity,
    as well as the post processing features it offers.

          DxVA 2 <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DXVA2>

    This decode API is used on Windows. Support for this was recently
    added to the development branch, to be available with the upcoming
    release of 0.25.

          VDA <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDA>

    This decode API is used on OSX. Support for this was recently added
    to the development branch, to be available with the upcoming release
    of 0.25.

(Wonder how old that note is: "upcoming 0.25"!!)  Basically boils down
to trying to use the wrong option won't do anything because the driver
and the hardware don't know how to interact with each other. Sort of
like giving a Linux command to a Windows computer: result is essentially
"huh?" and nothing is done.

Hope that helps - sounds like you're making progress!  Still think you'd
be helped by Curtis Gedak's guide I suggested some time back.

Barry