[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 13:22:52 UTC 2018

Hi Ashu!

I'm going to reply from John's just so I can integrate his reply and
your question  a little easier.

>>>      Yes.  it is old. I am afraid of breaking my "working" backend if I try to
>>>      upgrade so I am shying away from an upgrade. I have been using this only
>>>      for movies (videos), music and pictures (nothing a plex server won't do -
>>>      but I love my association with myth and the community and it gives me a
>>>      chance to learn new stuff and expand my limited Linux knowledge)
>>      Have you considered creating a new Backend?? Yes, I know the
>>      hardware is expensive, but possibly save some money by buying a
>>      refurbished system or reusing some hardware around the house like
>>      the case and PSU and just getting a new motherboard and CPU.? If you
>>      go the new motherboard route could possibly get one with PCI and
>>      PCIe slots and use internal tuners (from eBay?)? Could also go the
>>      USB Tuner route.
>>
>> it just so happens that I do have a new server and I could create a VM
>> on it and make it a backed? Does that mean that I def have to throw away
>> the AverMedia??
>    Wait and see.  If you want OTA you will need some sort of tuner, and
> the Avermedia might work with software that hasn't bit-rotted.  I have 2
> European cards that are probably similar and get used all the time.
> Not sure about a with a VM, though.

I'll admit I have a bias towards dedication.  If the server needs to be
taken down or locks up it would take your Backend down also. When the VM
is booted there my be some start-up quirks.  With VirtualBox here my
scanner always gets captured and so I have to remember to release it
back to the main system.  The external drive never does <knock on wood!>
but plugging in a new USB device has a 50-50 chance of being captured by
the Virtual Machine.  Yes I know weren't talking your server vs. my work
machine, but wanted to give you a heads-up on potential issues.

As for the AVerMedia -- I'll give you a solid "I don't know". (!)  I
Googled and then clicked to Newegg; lots of options and saw one still be
sold and the caption stated 'NTSC' which is analog.  You want ATSC
(digital).  Oh: just to complicate things <gaaa!> you _can_ use a
card/device with an analog tuner as long as it has a digital tuner.
Here I have some old tuner cards and use only the digital portion.

>>      Another advantage of a new Backend might be a huge speed increase:
>>      the system could be able to do some functions almost concurrently
>>      with recording, faster reaction times when loading, etc.? I don't
>>      know how old your present system is but it's age may be anything
>>      from a minor to major consideration.
>>
>>      The main problem would be transferring the database for your present
>>      movies, music, etc.? (Copying the media files is easy, I'm thinking
>>      the file 'translating' to human-readable.)
>>
>> I all not worried about movie database. it will need to get the fanart
>> and posters again. big deal. (unless I am overlooking something painful
>> here...)

OK, just wanting to make sure you don't do something and later realize a
major issue.  I have done a 'sloppy copy' of shows from one machine to
another and plays back fine but no support data (artwork, etc.)  ever
got re-inserted.

Barry