[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 18:39:39 UTC 2018

On 13/04/18 18:28, Ashu Desai wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:27 PM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com
> <mailto:ashu.desai at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM John Pilkington
>     <johnpilk222 at gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         On 13/04/18 15:26, Ashu Desai wrote:
>
>          >
>          > I am in US - Chicago area.
>
>         (Re-sent - again - after several change-of-email-address glitches)
>
>         Hi:  There seems to be some confusion about which device you are
>         trying
>         to connect to your antenna. At first it looked as if it was a usb
>         dongle, but then the Aver device appeared.  It seems that you are
>         getting a good signal level, so one or other of those should work.
>

>     The antenna splits into two - one is the coax to plug in and also a
>     usb (I believe for power?) so i have plugged both in...
>

> This is the actual antenna:
> https://www.amazon.com/Amplified-Antenna-SKYTV-Digtial-Antennas-coaxial/dp/B01N5HKEEV
>

>         I wonder if you would do better at first to try with another media
>         program like VLC, which is perhaps friendlier than myth (at
>         least if it
>         isn't entirely new to you) just to check that something will work.
>

>     Not sure how to go about doing that - but if you can point me to any
>     steps, will gladly do it

I'm not sure how easy it would be to do that with your centos6 system.
' # yum install vlc' might work but it might also need lots of other
updates.  Finding myth-related components that seem to be needed might
be difficult too...

The antenna info and picture suggest that the usb plug is just for
power, but in your initial post myth apparently found a tuner device
that I don't see now.  Does dmesg have any reference to it when you
insert or remove the usb plug?