[mythtv-users] Any UK HDHR users here?

Justin Hornsby justin0hornsby at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 13:35:32 UTC 2018

After 15 or so years of sterling service no less than 2 of my 3 DVB-T
tuners have decided they've had enough of being on 24/7 & no longer give
error free reception. Boo!  I can't really complain since I bought 3 from
ebay at the princely sum of about £12!

So the mythtv system has been limping along with only 1 working tuner for a
while much to the annoyance of my wife who's had to cope with recording
later showings of her favourite programmes.

I can't really justify replacing the backend entirely & its motherboard has
only 1 pcie slot... That & adding more secondhand tuners isn't much of a
good idea... So I've taken the plunge & ordered an HDHR5-2DT box which I'm
led to believe can do multirec with DVB-T2 and DVB-T (so long as
transcoding is disabled in the hdhr settings).

Are these things any good? Are they reliable?

I've said for a while that I'm still looking for an ondemand streaming
solution that can play media from a network share too (no, please NOT the
mess they call K***) but while I'm waiting we might as well continue to
record what we want to watch on demand & enjoy everything from the same UI

I'm looking forward to finally being able to record HD - without having to
resort to clunky drivers or USB sticks dangling from the back, or paying
£££ for a clunky unintuitive piece of rubbish 'Freeview DVR'  :)