[mythtv-users] How to choose between 2 backends ?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Apr 6 17:52:01 UTC 2018

On 4/6/18 11:56 AM, Barry Martin wrote:

> Hi Mike!
>
>> The anomalies you list in switching should not be happening if your network and host names are setup correctly.  I?m going to assume you have two databases (one on each backend), and each of those databases will hold settings for each of your frontend machines.  If you switch from one backend to another and you?ve never configured that frontend on that backend, then yes, all the settings will default because backend 2 has never seen backend 1.  However, if you configure all of your settings also on backend 2 the same as backend 1, changing backends should be transparent as long as the settings are identical.
>
> Agree: if I configure the two backend to have the same name and
> password I should be able to switch between the two with a change of
> the address to select the Backend.  Not so sure can be done all that
> easily by the 'non Geek' people here.  Good tip for Klaus however.
>

>> Hope this helps you make your system a tad bit more elegant, because it?s myth? and it should be.  :)
>
> No disagreement!  Some of the 'sloppiness' here has been done on
> purpose to make it easier to troubleshoot.  The original intention
> was for the new Backend to replace the aging existing Backend when
> discovered there are intermittent issues with reception (OTA).  As
> this is Klaus's thread I don't want to insert my problems.  ...Hope
> that's not sounding rude or unappreciative.
I frequently run MythFrontend on my laptop, and need a way to switch
between using it with my home server and a local backend and DB, on the
laptop. I currently end up having to manually edit the config.xml file
each time I want to do this. One of these days I'll write that slick
GUI-based backend picker I've been meaning to write :-).

It would definitely help if there was an argument to mythfrontend that
could override the IP address setting in config.xml, though.