[mythtv-users] Mythtv, Plex, and watched status

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:47:23 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 7:56 AM, Michael Wisniewski <mikewiz38 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious as well. I haven't looked at Kodi yet, I'm using the mythlink
>> script to format symbolic links in the format that Plex likes. The only
>> problem is that if I have incomplete show data mythlink doesn't handle it
>> well and Plex doesn't pick it up.
>>

> I'm still wondering if PKC (Plex Kodi Connect) is right for me.  I'm
> reading more of the documentation and it looks like there's more negatives
> in my install than positives.  For example, I have multiple set top boxes
> that are configured to use MySQL in Kodi to sync the libraries across
> everything.  It sounds like this may be a no-go with PKC.  I'm not exactly
> sure yet, but I kind of think that there are a few settings Kodi uses in
> MySQL to get a similar look and feel.  I am still looking into this.  The
> other thing is I have a mixture of devices; one's an i5, one is a firetv,
> and another is a walmart android tv box. PKC might work, but there's a
> warning in their docs about using it on lower power devices.

Other than not having complete metadata for every show I'm having zero
issues just running mythlink every 24 hours. I could increase the frequency
but we usually don't watch shows the same day the record anyway.

I considered running it after every  show using the --chanid and
--starttime options, but they don't clean up shows that have been deleted
and it doesn't take that long to run and clean up everything.

I know this is a bit OT.  But basically, my setup is Myth for my backend,
> Plex for mobile devices, and Kodi for internal/in-house watching.  While
> everything works OK, there has to be a better, more uniform, and easier way
> to get this done, as my kids are getting old enough to navigate the TV and
> I want to make it crazy easy for them.

I've been using just MythTV for the last 10 years, but we intentionally
only had one TV in the house until last year when we bought one for our
bedroom. Since it's a TCL Roku TV we just use Plex to play our content and
other than waiting for the stream, or waiting for an on the fly recode of
the MPEG2 content, it works quite well. Doesn't have the nice skip speed
(restarts the stream) but works well enough.

Thanks,
Richard