[mythtv-users] New frequency for NY NBC OTA channel 4

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Apr 3 08:06:42 UTC 2018

On 03/04/18 03:02, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 8:26 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just found out the hard way that apparently NY NBC channel 4
>> apparently changed frequency on April 1.
>>
>> ...snip
>>
>> I've never been comfortable doing that channel scan. Frankly it about
>> gives me a heart attack. It's NEVER clear as to what it's going to do
>> etc and I always have visions of needing to restore my database. In
>> the past I've had it arbitrarily rename all my channels from using the
>> dot I have now (for example 4.1) to dashes (4-1). If I recall
>> correctly there used to be some option for that but I'm not sure there
>> is any longer. I haven't needed to rescan much at all in the 10+ years
>> I've been using MythTV. Maybe it's just me, but doing so seems to have
>> been more harrowing  every time I've done it.
>>

> I was just looking and recalled this mess I had years back:
>
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/571152
>
> I'm hoping to avoid messes like that.
>
> If someone can at least clear me up on the various prompts in the
> rescan it'd help me a lot. I think, if I can recall, it tells you
> about channels that have changed, channels that have been added, and
> channels that have gone away. I've never seen any of this documented
> clearly anywhere. If I'm wrong on that please let me know where it is.
> It's always been a total mystery to me.
>
> I can't recall the options it gives you but I recall them being
> extremely unclear. There's an "ignore all" and a "delete all" and I
> believe a "hide all"(?). I'm assuming that the hide simply marks those
> channels as hidden(?). I'm most concerned about the delete. I would
> assume that would delete those channels, but I've read things
> indicating that delete just deletes them from the scan(?). That's the
> one I'm most concerned about as it could delete my Philadelphia
> stations, which I do use on rare occasions (Philly NFL games for
> example). If I recall, some, but not all of those steps have an option
> to manually deal with them one at a time, which would probably be
> ideal. Maybe I'm just best off letting add, change, and update
> everything just to be clean. If I loose my Philly stations I can deal
> with that later I suppose.
>
> Thanks in advance if anyone understands this better than I.
>
> Tom

I just googled 'tv broadcast frequencies NYC changes 2018' and got
several hits, although real numbers seem well buried. 'fcc repack' might
be a good phrase.

If you find the new frequency, mythtv-setup has a 'Transport editor'
that should let you enter that and rescan only multiplexes that you have
lost;  but of course the menus we see are likely to be different.

HTH

John P