[mythtv-users] channels.conf

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 11:13:43 UTC 2018

Ian Campbell <ijc at hellion.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2018-04-01 at 20:07 +0200, Klaus Becker wrote:
> There are bindings for the channels table in the Python, Perl and php
> bindings ...
>
> ... to my shame my own fixup/cleanup script is still written in SQL which runs directly against the DB, which is rather risky ...

What is the difference between directly manipulating the database via Python, Perl, or php - and directly manipulating the database via SQL ? Both have scope for "messing things up" by directly manipulating the data without the safety net of going through MythTV which "should" enforce data consistency etc.