[mythtv-users] Complication(s) with display upgrade - need help

Michael A Weber mweberjunk01 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 13:54:20 UTC 2018

> On Apr 1, 2018, at 7:24 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Apr 1, 2018, 3:37 AM John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
> On 01/04/18 02:04, Craig Huff wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 7:20 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com <mailto:huffcslists at gmail.com>
> > <mailto:huffcslists at gmail.com <mailto:huffcslists at gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >
> >     I am now trying to get another frontend system to work with the new
> >     TV, but I'm still unable to fathom how to get the audio working
> >     through the HDMI cable.  I just purchased this
> >     <https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127930 <https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127930>>
> >     MSI GeForce GT710 low profile video adapter. The on-board video
> >     adapter did not provide HDMI and I wasn't able to get audio fed thru
> >     the DVI port with a DVI to HDMI adapter that was billed as
> >     supporting audio pass-thru. I'm still unable to get audio to the TV
> >     via the HDMI cable, even with the new video adapter's native HDMI port.
> >
> >     Unless there's some trick to the "right" settings in the frontend
> >     Setup > Audio > Audio System screen, or another place (in
> >     addition/instead) that I need to make changes (or make settings and
> >     reboot?), I'm stumped and need help.
> >
> >     FWIW, I'm currently running  Myth v0.27.6 on Ubuntu 14.04.5.
> >
> >     Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> > More info:
> >  > lspci
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 128b (rev a1)
> > 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller
> > (rev a1)
> >
> >  > lspci -s 01:00.1 -v
> > 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller
> > (rev a1)
> >              Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
> >              Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
> >
> > So, at least it appears that there is a recognized sound device on the
> > video adapter.  I tried disabling the motherboard audio and motherboard
> > HDMI BIOS settings (both at once), but that didn't lead to success.
> >

> I have the same two devices with kde/fedora. Does this help?
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/616477#616477 <https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/616477#616477>
>
> John P

> Have you tried adjusting Ubuntu's sound settings? Launch settings (the gear icon), click on sound and highlight the one that says HDMI out. You can run a quick sound test there too.

Have you also tried setting up the correct audio device in your MythTV setup?  From the main frontend menu, go to Setup - Audio Setup, and on the first page, there is a place to select the audio device.  Mine says something along the lines of “Alsa:HDMI” or something like that.  You can scan for the different audio devices present and then choose the correct one from the list.  Check each, then use the testing pages to test audio output.

I bet the verbiage I mentioned above is dependent upon which theme you are using, but it will be something like that.

Good luck.

Mike