[mythtv-users] Proper way/user to run mythconverg_restore.pl when restoring old database on clean install

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 03:32:18 UTC 2017

On Sep 28, 2017 9:25 PM, "Hika van den Hoven" <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:

Hoi Ian,

Friday, September 29, 2017, 12:16:48 AM, you wrote:

> [...]

--filename
>    >>> mythconverg-1317-20170928112702.sql.gz
>    >>>
>    >>> It fails with an unable to connect to database and this
environment:
>    >>>
>    >>> Configuring environment:
>    >>>   -    username: mythtv
>    >>>   -        HOME: /home/ian
>    >>>   - MYTHCONFDIR: /home/ian/.mythtv
>    >>>
>    >>> Parsing configuration files:
>    >>>   - checking: /home/ian/.mythtv/config.xml
>    >>>   - checking: /usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
>    >>>   - checking: /usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
>    >>>   - checking: /usr/local/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
>    >>>   - checking: /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
>    >>>   - checking: /home/ian/.mythtv/mysql.txt
>    >>>   - checking: mysql.txt
>    >>>   - checking: /home/ian/.mythtv/mysql.txt
>    >>>   - checking: /home/ian/.mythtv/backuprc
>    >>>
>    >>> Doing a 'locate config.xml' it's only at these locations:
>    >>>
>    >>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>    >>> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>    >>> /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/config_files/config.xml
>    >>> /usr/share/mythtv/config.xml
>    >>>
>    >>> How do I get the command line to ignore /home/ian and
/home/ian/.mythtv?
>    >>>
>    >>> Thanks!
>    >>>
>    >>>
>    >>>

  >>> Set MYTHCONFDIR before you run your command line to the config file
you want.

  >>> export MYTHCONFDIR=xxxxxxxxxx
  >>>  echo $MYTHCONFDIR
  >>>

 >>  Yes, that should work, if the ian user has r/w access there, which
 >>  shouldn't as it is inside the mythtv home-directory.
 >>

 >> Went to run mythtv-setup from a terminal on the local system (that
 >> is not using ssh) and after sudo -i -u mythtv. Have various X
 >> errors. Clicked on Mythbackend Setup in the Xubuntu applications
 >> menu and it offered to add the root user to the mythtv group and then
ran.

>  You changed user in a terminal, but X is initialized as the original
>  user, so when trying to run an X program you probably end up in a kind
>  of mixed environment of the two users. I guess the mythtv group had
>  the missing rights in the other environment.
>  When you want to run an X program as a different user you better
>  log-out and then log-in as the needed user. Or start a second X
>  session as the other user. If your window manager does support that.
>

> Thanks for your help. Database update happened, but now I'm
> debugging why mythbackend is crashing just after login, why
> mythfrontend isn't starting automatically, etc.

> My first clean install with with a Mythbuntu ISO back in 2011 with
> in-place upgrades. Went so smoothly and I was recording shows within
> about 30 minutes. This installing Xubuntu, then myth has not been as
smooth. :-(

> Guess I'll be posting more shortly.

Things get more complex, so also more subject to itches. Log-in as
your mythtv user and perform upgrades etc under that user and thing
should go smooth. People often underestimate user and user-right
related issues. But they are there to protect us! And as protection
gets more important...

I have to remember to su or sudo  -i -u mythtv since the Ubuntu install
doesn't create a mythtv user that you can log into with a password.

Thanks for the help this afternoon. I'm sure I'll be posting again soon.