[mythtv-users] ir-keytable repeating keys

Tim Pletcher pletchtd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 18:25:01 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 8:38 AM Vincent McIntyre <vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 02:09:20PM +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> >
> > If you have not added an ir-keytable command to the startup somewhere,
> > there probably is not one anywhere.  ir-keytable is not something that
> > runs in the background as a daemon - it only needs to be run once at
> > startup to change the configuration, with the rest happening in the
> > kernel code.  So try putting it in rc.local.  Or you could write your
> > own systemd unit to run it.
> >

> If it helps this is my rc.local (I'm on ubuntu 16.04)
>
> #!/bin/sh -e
> #
> ## rc.local
> #
> ## This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
> # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
> # value on error.
> #
> # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
> # bits.
> #
> # By default this script does nothing.
> #
> /usr/bin/ir-keytable -s rc1 -c
> /usr/bin/ir-keytable -s rc1 -w /etc/rc_keymaps/dvico_mce-nec.keymap
>

> /etc/rc_keymaps will be created by the ir-keytable package.
> But the file within will probably have to come from you.
> There are some provided by the package in /lib/udev/rc_keymaps
> that you could start from.
>
> Note also that ir-keytable attempts to set this up automagically
> via the file /etc/rc_maps.cfg.
>
> My understanding is what I have in rc.local overrides the automagic,
> but my remote is one of the commented ones in rc_maps.cfg so I may
> be hallucinating.
>
> See also /usr/share/doc/ir-keytable/README.Debian
>
> Regards
> Vince

Just to add to what Vince already shared, there is a udev rule in
/lib/udev/rules.d that loads the parameters for ir-keytable remote handling.

I have customized the -D and -P parameters via this file on my Ubuntu 16.10
frontend system. This may not be the best place to apply this customization
but it works for me.  I am also not sure but I suspect the changes may get
wiped when performing a dist version upgrade.

/lib/udev/rules.d$ cat 60-ir-keytable.rules
# Automatically load the proper keymaps after the Remote Controller device
# creation.
# The keycode tables rules should be at /etc/rc_maps.cfg

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="rc", RUN+="/usr/bin/ir-keytable -D 400 -P
750 -a /etc/rc_maps.cfg -s $name"

Hope this helps!

Tim