[mythtv-users] ir-keytable repeating keys

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Sep 25 01:09:20 UTC 2017

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:57:54 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi everyone, I've got a fresh install of Ubuntu 17.04 running a FE.
>Apparently LIRC is no longer needed/preferred for remote controls, so I am
>using ir-keytable to control the remote, following instructions at the
>following pages in the wiki:
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:IR_control_via_evdev
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes
>
>I have all buttons working correctly, however the double-press/hold is
>really finicky, so for example it'll skip down several menu items when I
>mean to go just one. Anyone know how to disable this behavior or change the
>time registered for a "held" key? From what I'm reading, the -D and -P
>flags for ir-keytable would be the first thing to try changing, but I can't
>figure out where ir-keytable is actually getting started from (mythfrontend
>is set to start automatically) to change the flags. It's not in rc.local,
>it's not listed in the session & startup list, and I don't see it anywhere
>in init.d, although that last one is closing in on the outer bounds of my
>limited knowledge.
>
>Thank you for any ideas.

If you have not added an ir-keytable command to the startup somewhere,
there probably is not one anywhere.  ir-keytable is not something that
runs in the background as a daemon - it only needs to be run once at
startup to change the configuration, with the rest happening in the
kernel code.  So try putting it in rc.local.  Or you could write your
own systemd unit to run it.

LIRC is only not needed if you are using your remote with only one
program (eg MythTV), or if all the programs it is used with use the
same keystrokes.  If, like me, you also want the remote to work with
an alternate player program (eg mplayer), which uses completely
different keystrokes for the same remote key, then you still require
LIRC.  LIRC is also more flexible - for example, you can adjust
whether keys autorepeat and how fast on a per key basis.

LIRC in Ubuntu 17.04 is a much more recent version than in 16.04.  For
some reason, LIRC had not been updated for some time in Ubuntu, but it
has finally now happened, so 17.04 is using 0.9.4c, with the new
Python config program.  In 16.04 (which I am running) we are still
stuck with the ancient 0.9.0 version.