[mythtv-users] New installation errors

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 04:37:46 UTC 2017

On 09/23/2017 07:55 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I have time to work on this again. I'm using ssh -X to log on to the MythTV machine named Jetway. Here's what I get when I try to run mythtv-setup:
>
> rsteff at Jetway:~$ mythtv-setup
> mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
> /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 42: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: status: not found
> libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
> libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> rsteff at Jetway:~$ mythtv-setup mythtv
> mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
> /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 42: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: status: not found
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> GNOME_SUDO_PASS
> sudo: 1 incorrect password attempt
> [ ok ] Starting mythtv-backend (via systemctl): mythtv-backend.service.
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> rsteff at Jetway:~$
>
> Assuming I need to supply a password I tried:
>
> rsteff at Jetway:~$ mythtv-setup mythtv
> mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
> /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 42: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: status: not found
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> rsteff at Jetway:~$
>
> A dialog box popped up asking if I wanted to start the mythtv backend? I said no.
> A dialog box popped up asking if I wanted to run mythfilldatabase? I said no.
>
> Using the mysql monitor I looked at the user table. Should there be a user mythtv?

Yes, but not in that DB. It's in the mysql DB. As your root mysql
user:

USE mysql;
SELECT Host,User,Password FROM user WHERE User='mythtv' ORDER BY Host,User;

> mysql> select username from users;
> +----------+
> | username |
> +----------+
> | admin    |
> +----------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql>
>
> I'm at a loss, here. What do I do next?

If the backend updated 'til one DBSchemaVer, then failed, you know
that it was able to connect to the DB ok. Be sure the user running
mythtv-setup has the same credentials e.g. config.xml. It appears
as if the user in the above was mythtv, but I don't know that it
was using the proper $HOME. A full mythtv-setup log will tell you.

Just look for a line containing:  Using configuration directory =

You can also try running mythtv-setup.real . That should bypass
some of the Gtk messages above.

--
Bill