[mythtv-users] Updating Channels with XMLTV

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 16 14:06:08 UTC 2017

On 09/16/2017 02:47 AM, Marc Rawji wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> The channel lineup has changed for my provider. I get the correct
> schedules (which is good) but the channel names are incorrect.
>
> For example, CBS was on Channel 10, and it's moved to channel 12
> (where NBC was).
>
> The guide data is correct, as in it's showing CBS shows on channel 12.
>
> However the channel name remains NBC.The database entry looks like this:
>
> mysql> select * from channel where channum = 12 limit 1 \G
> *************************** 1. row ***************************
>            chanid: 1012
>           channum: 12
>            freqid: NULL
>          sourceid: 1
>          callsign: NBC
>              name: NBC
> <snip>
>
> Which doesn't match what my grabber outputs (since the change).
>   <channel id="12">
>     <display-name lang="en">CBS</display-name>
>     <display-name lang="en">12</display-name>
>     <display-name lang="en">12</display-name>
>   </channel>
>
> I am not using "Schedules Direct" / Data Direct. This is a plain old
> XMLTV grabber.
>
> I tried running:
> mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates (i think this only works for DD
> data)
> mythfilldatabase --only-update-channels
>
> And it won't update the entries in the DB. What's the command I need
> to run to update the channels with their new metadata?
>
> Thanks!
> Marc

With XMLTV the options for mythfilldatabase are -
--only-update-guide or --only-update-channels. If you specify neither
then it will update guide as well as channels. Personally I normally use
--only-update-guide for daily updates and --only-update-channels when I
know there are channel updates to be done. I don't know why
--only-update-channels is not working for you, perhaps it does not
update names for existing channels?

You could try deleting all your channels before running the
--only-update-channels. That should add them all back again with correct
names. I recommend taking a database backup first in case it fails.

You could using mythweb settings to update the channel names manually if
there are not too many changes. If you don't have mythweb you can use
backend setup, although that is more difficult to work with.