[mythtv-users] Securing Mythweb?

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 15 16:53:21 UTC 2017

On 09/15/2017 11:42 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> I got remote VNC to work.  x11vnc server is installed in mythbuntu if
> you enable that service in mythtv control center. I just give it a
> strong password at startup.  I just have to figure out how to have
> x11vncserver run at boot time automatically. I now can run mythweb or
> mythfrontend remotely.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JIm A

The problem with vnc is that it only runs after your backend is logged
on via a GUI. So if the backend gets rebooted by a power failure for
example you will no longer have access.

On the other hand xrdp does not require the backend to be logged in. It
does not interact with the backend main display, it creates a separate
remote display screen where you can run most things.

Peter