[mythtv-users] Securing Mythweb?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Thu Sep 14 14:19:32 UTC 2017

I notice that the header on the wiki about Securing Mythweb is tagged as outdated.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Securing_MythWeb

Are there some easy instructions for putting a strong password on my mythtv system so I can setup programs to record while away from home?

I can set my port forwarding in my DSL box so I can get to Mythweb when away from home, but it goes straight to the mythweb page.  I need to protect it.  When I’m gone from home all computers on the LAN are turned off except for the mythtv box. So I just need to protect my mythtv recordings and setup.  Once I get back home, I stop the port forwarding.  I only do this once or twice a year and it’s only open for a few weeks at a time.  So I don’t really want to install a VPN, etc.  I figure I can have a really good password to protect mythweb at least for the short period I’m gone.

Ideas? I need to do this rather quickly, thus the avoidance of VPN

Jim A