[mythtv-users] Live TV not working following myth frontend insallation.

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 10:15:59 UTC 2017

On 14/09/17 10:39, Andy Summerskill wrote:
> I've just installed myth frontend (0.28) on a new laptop running
> ubuntu 16.04. Installation seemed to go OK and connected to the
> backend without any problems.
>
> However, when I choose 'Live TV' from the main frontend screen myth
> frontend stops running, no video is shown but I can hear the audio
> from the TV show. Same thing happens if I choose to watch a recording
> or watch a video!
>
> I can restart Myth frontend again and if I choose Live TV again the
> same thing happens - i.e. frontend shuts down, I see no video, but can
> hear the tv channel's audio stream (albeit a second or so out of sync
> with the first instance of the audio stream!).
>
> I've had a look through settings and can see that my default player
> (in media settings) is set to 'Internal'.
>
> Any one else seen this and managed to get it resolved?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

I have seen this before, in my case it was due to the "Video Playback
Profile".

This is most easily checked using the the "Setup Wizard", by selecting
the appropriate Video Playback Profile and running the tests ("Test
Standard Definition" and "Test High Definition"), making sure to select
"Finish" when done.

There is another setting to check, depending which theme you are
running, that is in Setup>General Appearance>Paint Engine,
recommendation is Auto, but it could be set to Qt.

On a final note, when you installed mythfrontend did you do it after
adding the mythbuntu ppa (this keeps you up to date with changes/bug
fixes to mythtv 0.28) or just install without  adding the ppa (this gets
you the version in ubuntu repositories which is old).
If you have not added the ppa, I suggest you do so in a terminal as follows:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

and then restart mythfrontend

Mike