[mythtv-users] Using TV remote to control MythTV frontend on Raspberry Pi

Jeff jffry at posteo.net
Tue Sep 12 21:17:30 UTC 2017

On 12/09/17 22:38, Peter Bennett wrote:
> CEC supports device types that determine what commands are available
> CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_TV =0,
> CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_RECORDING_DEVICE =1,
> CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_RESERVED =2,
> CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_TUNER =3,
> CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_PLAYBACK_DEVICE =4,
> CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_AUDIO_SYSTEM =5

> We are using PLAYBACK, so that the play, pause, fast forward, rewind
> buttons are available.
> If a different profile was selected, different buttons may work, but
> those may not. Unfortunately it is hard coded into MythTV. Would it be
> useful to be able to change it? Which profile would you use if you could
> change it?

I imagine that this is all TV-specific, so it would probably be best to
be able to change it to any one of those.

Looking at the cec-client source, it seems to default to
CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_RECORDING_DEVICE

> I do not understand the question about which input the TV uses.

When my (Samsung) TV starts, it sees the RPi connected via HDMI and
defaults to the basic HDMI input. I have to use the source button on the
remote to switch to the HDMI-CEC input so that the remote buttons are
passed to MythTV.

Therefore, it would be useful for MythTV to tell the TV to switch to
that input automatically. This seems to be possible from cec-client, so
I could probably add it to my frontend launch script, but if MythTV
could handle it, it would be more convenient.

Regards

Jeff