[mythtv-users] Using TV remote to control MythTV frontend on Raspberry Pi

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 20:38:33 UTC 2017

On 09/12/2017 03:17 PM, Jeff wrote:
> On 11/09/17 22:59, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> You don't need any tomfoolery, it just works. See here
>>
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Remote_Control_with_CEC
> We'll that is interesting. Thanks for the pointer.
>
> Trying it out, I see that the built-in CEC support is:
> a. easier to set up
> b. context-specific
>
> However, using cec-client:
> a. produces a different device name
> b. allows more of the remote buttons to be used (e.g. channel up/down,
> guide, prev ch, etc.)
>
> Without knowing how CEC works, it looks to me as though the different
> device names reflect different device types. It would be nice to be able
> to use the extra buttons. Can this be specified somehow?
>
> Your wiki entry also explains nicely why my TV was powering off when
> exiting MythTV, which was annoying me.
>
> Is there any way of specifying which input the TV uses? It is defaulting
> to the HDMI mode without CEC.
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff

CEC supports device types that determine what commands are available
CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_TV =0,
CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_RECORDING_DEVICE =1,
CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_RESERVED =2,
CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_TUNER =3,
CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_PLAYBACK_DEVICE =4,
CEC_DEVICE_TYPE_AUDIO_SYSTEM =5

We are using PLAYBACK, so that the play, pause, fast forward, rewind
buttons are available.
If a different profile was selected, different buttons may work, but
those may not. Unfortunately it is hard coded into MythTV. Would it be
useful to be able to change it? Which profile would you use if you could
change it?

I do not understand the question about which input the TV uses.