[mythtv-users] Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner not found.

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Tue Sep 5 01:53:59 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 04:04:07PM -0500, George Bingham wrote:
>    Hi Autustine,
>    I don't have the same model tuner as you, but I do have the Hauppauge
>    HVR-2255 (which has been discontinued). It requires a firmware file to be

It occurred to me earlier today to look for firmware files.  I'm pretty
sure I looked before but this time, thanks to the ubuntu repository I
added previously, I found this:

i linux-firmware-hauppauge                     0.1.0+zesty    0.1.0+zesty

which I promptly installed.
 `
>    stored in your /lib/firmware directory. Your model does too. I am guessing
>    that it would be included in the packages that you are trying to install,
>    but maybe not. I remember when I got this tuner I had to ask by email a

I'm trying not to install a whole ubuntu kernel.  If I can make it work
by installing firmware or drivers I'd prefer that.  Unfortunately, this
firmware doesn't seem to do anything, or the kernel/system doesn't know
what to do with it.

I also manually loaded pvrusb2, the driver that the old usb tuner used,
but that too didn't make any difference.  IIRC, this driver got loaded
automatically when the old tuner (OnAir Creator) was plugged in.

>    person at Hauppauge in order to receive a beta version of the firmware and
>    do the kernel mods as described for the 3.16 kernel at the time.
>    I am running Ubuntu 16.04 now though so I didn't have to modify that
>    kernel, but I do still have to have that firmware file.

I wonder if this is not the correct firmware file for this tuner.  The
firmware file installed is:

/lib/firmware/dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw

I think I'll call Hauppauge tomorrow.

>    Since my tuner is a card installed inside the PC, it loads the firmware at
>    each boot. I assume that your USB tuner would load the firmware when it is
>    plugged in or at boot time if it's already plugged in, but I don't have

That's what I would have thought.  This is what shows up in
/var/log/messages when plugging it in:

kernel: [435914.697341] usb 1-6: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
kernel: [435914.846884] usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=026d
kernel: [435914.846891] usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
kernel: [435914.846896] usb 1-6: Product: 955D
kernel: [435914.846900] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: HCW
kernel: [435914.846903] usb 1-6: SerialNumber: 0013946375
mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 3: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-6"
mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 3 was not an MTP device

No mention of missing firmware files like I've seen in other cases.

>    any direct experience with USB tuners.
>    HTH,
>    George

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I'll keep trying.  Any other hints
or advice most welcome.

Augustine