[mythtv-users] Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner not found.

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Mon Sep 4 20:23:24 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-09-03 at 20:50 -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 02, 2017 at 10:52:37PM -0400, blisbell . wrote:
> >    It is not good practice to mix ubuntu ppas with debian an vice-
> > versa but
>
> I agree.  I'd rather not do that if the debian kernel (4.9 in stretch)
> has the proper support.  Does it?  If not, is there a driver for the
> Hauppauge tuners that could be added to the debian kernel?

I'm not sure about 4.9, but if you need something newer then I would
recommend trying the kernel from stretch-backports, my own myth system
tracks buster (current testing, so the ~same kernels as are in stretch-
backports with some small lag) and has a WinTV-dualHD ("Model 01590
(USB device ID 2040:0265)" from [1]). The first tuner works ok -- AIUI
the second isn't yet supported even by bleeding edge kernels although
I'm only on 4.11 so far

Running things from Debian's own backports should be far preferable to
running things from other distros entirely (even ones as closely
related as Ubuntu) and cause much fewer problems. In particular for
kernels which have relatively modest requirements from the rest of the
systems taking kernels from backports is generally fine, you won't end
up pulling in huge swathes of packages.

I note that [1] says one variant works from 4.7 and the other from
4.11, so that seems like a good base irrespecive of which you have.
There is also links to firmware on that page.

Ian

[0] https://backports.debian.org/
[1] https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-dualHD