[mythtv-users] HD PVR NTSC or PAL?

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Sun Oct 29 22:46:34 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:07 AM, Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was able to change the Video standard of my non-working device using
>
> v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0  --set-standard=6
>
> and now it works. Solved!

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The first command you ran dumps out the currently selected standard,
and the default standard differs between the version of the HD-PVR
sold in the US versus elsewhere in the world (i.e. they have different
USB IDs).  That said, this is only the default and currently selected
standard.  As you found out, all versions of the HD-PVR hardware
support both standards and you can set the currently standard with the
second command you ran.

In short, they tried to make it easier for the user by making the
default setting for the standard based on the region the device was
sold in.

By the way, you can run "v4l2-ctl --list-standards" to see the list of
all standards supported by the device.

Regards,

Devin

--