[mythtv-users] Plex

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Tue Oct 24 23:48:03 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just curious, are people using a linux box as a plex frontend?  I would
> like to add plex to my mythbox, but am not seeing a real easy way to
> install it on linux (installing a plex server, yes, but not a plex
> frontend).

I use Plex media player (PMP).  I have it running in Fedora.  You can
either add a repo in Fedora or do what I did and compile it yourself.
Other distros like Ubuntu probably have a repo option.

PMP was a bumpy road in the beginning but is quite stable now.  I use it
daily.  If you're on Fedora, I can give you further info on the repo or
what steps you need to take to compile it (you just need the right library
list).

There is also OpenPHT but you'll have to compile that yourself as well.
That's a little trickier but also doable.  That code base does not get
frequent updates.

One more option: install the Plex plugin for Kodi.  That works just fine as
well.  That might be your easiest option if you already have Kodi.  I added
it to the mythfronend menu (along with PMP and OpenPHT).

Jerry