[mythtv-users] rPi3 3.5mm audio out - HDMI

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 21 15:46:02 UTC 2017

On 10/21/2017 10:46 AM, Barry Martin wrote:

> And can I tag onto this thread (or should I start a new one?) I am
> also playing with a RPi3 and have low volume problems but with the
> HDMI output.  (Haven't tried the 3.5mm output.)  The volume does
> adjust using the [ and ] keys but maximum is barely audible through my
> monitor's speakers.  I did not notice a change after adding to
> .asoundrc and adding the two commands to .profile (and rebooting).
> Also tried max_dB 30.0 -- no change. Different commands for the HDMI
> volume or did I do something wrong?

This amplification will likely not work with HDMI audio, or you may have
to change some settings to get it to work.

In my experience, HDMI audio is digital and volume controls either in
mythtv or in Linux have no effect on volume. If you are seeing [ and ]
having an effect you may have something set up wrongly.

Some suggestions -
- Run alsamixer before starting mythtv and make sure your volume is set
to maximum on all devices shown.
- use raspi-config to force HDMI audio
- try the digital audio with ALSA instructions, see
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi