[mythtv-users] MyHarmony & FE - alternatives to IR?

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Oct 20 18:36:39 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 10:05:23PM -0500, Brent Haag wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com> wrote:
> >
> >  ---- On Thu, 05 Oct 2017 15:40:20 +0100 David Engel <david at istwok.net>
> > wrote ----
> >  > On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 08:59:15AM +0100, Tim Draper wrote:
> >  > > Is there a way to use the myharmony system with a frontend without
> > using IR?
> >  > > while myharmony does (apparently) have bluetooth, I've been
> > un-sucessful getting it working with my main FE
> >  > >
> >  > > basically i have IR on my NUC (DN2820FYKH) but it doesn't always turn
> > on - possibly the dog got in the way at the wrong moment, or the NUC
> > doesn't see it so things can get out of sync which whats powered on or off.
> > It's very rare the TV or AVR doesnt turn on and 9/10 seems to be the NUC
> > with the issue.
> >  > >
> >  > > Myharmony software doesn't seem to be aware of the NUC2820 bluetooth
> > and i cant find much info on getting them paired.
> >  > >
> >  > > how are you folks connecting to FE's?
> >  >
> >  > Do you mean with a Harmony hub or with a Harmony remote with
> >  > bluettoth?
> >  >
> >  > If the former, I have one and it works great.  The trick is you have
> >  > to configure your MythTV PC as a Windows PC in order to get a decent
> >  > offering of keys to map to remote buttons.  If you configure it as a
> >  > generic bluetooth device, you get a pitiful offering of keys.
> >  >
> >  > If you mean with a Harmony remote that does bluetooth directly, I'm
> >  > not sure how that works.  Look to see if it too offer a choice of a
> >  > Windows PC.
> >  >
> >  > David
> >  > --
> >  > David Engel
> >  > david at istwok.net
> >  >
> > thats got it. not sure what i was searching for before, but bluetooth is
> > now working and controlling the FE
> > I've just got to figure out how the 2820NUC handles wake-on-bluetooth now.
> > and yes, it was the Harmony Hub i'm using.
> >
> > thanks for the info
> >

> Is there a way for the Harmony hub to do IP based commands? That would be
> so much slicker.

It might, but probably only for very specific products.  The Harmony
Hubs are pretty good with what they support.  The problem is you're
totally at their mercy as to what they support.  If you have equipment
that they don't support, you're out of luck.  I suspect MythTV is too
much of a niche product that it won't ever get IP or any other direct
support.

David
--
David Engel