[mythtv-users] Make mythbackend shutdown quicker when frontends disconnect uncleanly

Andrew Wilkinson andrewjwilkinson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 20:40:40 UTC 2017

> On 17 Oct 2017, at 15:21, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 10/14/2017 12:37 PM, Andrew Wilkinson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Raspberry Pi as a remote frontend which is powered on and off with the TV. This means it doesn’t disconnect cleanly, it is just abruptly terminated. I have a read-only SD card, so I’m not worried about the Pi, but it does have the unfortunate side effect of making the backend stay awake for 2.5 hours after the TV is turned off. If the backend turns on to record it shuts down two minutes after the recording finishes.
>>

> I have a ticket looking at backend shutdown issues
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9712
> I have added a reference to this issue.

Thanks for linking me to that ticket. When and why the backend decides it’s safe to shutdown is unfortunately very opaque.

> On a related topic, there is another person on the mailing list with a question about how to set up a read-only SD card for a raspberry pi. Do you have any answers for that?
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/612351#612351

I did see that message, but my set up is pretty different so I didn’t respond. I’m actually network booting, so the sd card is read-only because it only contains the kernel and a few supporting files, but the actual file system is read/write. I did manage to get true network booting working, but it was to unreliable. Using the sd card to kick start the network boot is much better.

Andrew