[mythtv-users] Failed Recordings

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Oct 15 00:51:53 UTC 2017

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 20:10:17 -0400, you wrote:

>On 10/14/2017 07:02 AM, Craig Huff wrote:
>> This makes me think that the tuning operation failed in some fashion
>> when Myth attempted it
>
>Try upping the signal and tuning timeouts in mythtv-setup for the
>card(s).  When I say, "upping", I mean a long way (to max, even) to see
>if it improves, then if so, you can play around with lowering it every
>once in a while (week or 2) until you find when you lose stability.
>
>Mike

Yes, we have one channel here in New Zealand ("Three") where the
Tuning timeout needs to be set to 10000 ms.  It does not always take
that long to tune, but most of the time it takes over 7 seconds.  All
the other DVB-T channels are much quicker.  In older versions of
MythTV, the tuning used to work a bit differently and timing out on
the Tuning timeout did not prevent a recording from happening, as the
tuning seemed to be retried.  That changed in 0.27? (I can not
remember exactly), and I got some 0 byte recordings until I worked out
the problem and increased that timeout.  I was very surprised at how
big a value it needed - I am guessing that there is actually a
mis-setting in the channel's transmitter setup that is causing it to
be so different.

BTW, this is what I understand for what the timeouts do:

Signal timeout = time allowed for tuning to the frequency and starting
to receive data.

Tuning timeout = time allowed after data has started to be received,
during which all the streams for the selected channel are identified
and set up to be recorded and their first packets are received.