[mythtv-users] Failed Recordings

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 14 12:12:55 UTC 2017

On 10/14/2017 07:02 AM, Craig Huff wrote:
> I caught it happening this morning.  I browsed to the tuner on the LAN
> and manually forced a "re-tune" (for lack of a better term) and when I
> went back to Myth, the recording was capturing data.
>
> If you're familiar with the web interface for the Ceton, what I did
> was go to the tuner (#1) that was supposed to be doing the recording,
> clicked on the "tune" button, selected the first choice in the
> "program" list, clicked on the "set program" button, clicked on the
> set channel button, then near the bottom of the form I changed the
> state from stopped to started.
>
> This makes me think that the tuning operation failed in some fashion
> when Myth attempted it, although enough of the settings were correct
> that I could get it to start manually (especially that the destination
> ip, port, and protocol were set correctly).  I will look into seeing
> if there's a way to make the tuning command(s) go out a second time,
> perhaps with a few seconds delay between tuning attempts.  IIRC, the
> tuning for the Ceton tuners isn't done by calling a support program,
> so I may not have any means to do this.
>
> Since the Ceton box is on all the time (in other words it hasn't just
> powered up when this problem occurs), any thoughts on why the tuning
> failed this time and why tuning failures seem to happen only for the
> first program after the Myth backend wakes up for scheduled recordings
> and even then not every instance fails?
>
> --
> Craig.

Hi Craig

Do you restart your Ceton occasionally? I have a Ceton eth 6 with cable
card. There is a memory leak in the firmware and there may be other
bugs, so I reboot it once a week. I have a script that does this. I also
have a cooling fan underneath it as it gets rather hot. I have never had
a failed recording in several years that I have had it.

If you need more info about the reboot script or the cooling fan let me
know.

Peter