[mythtv-users] Font niggle in 'buntu xenial MythCenter-wide

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Oct 8 09:42:06 UTC 2017

On 07/10/17 15:18, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 10/07/2017 07:21 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> I posted about this when xenial was in beta, but got no comeback.  It
>> was irksome recently when the frontend, or perhaps mythtv-setup, was
>> repeatedly trying to restart, and I did more digging yesterday.
>>
>> On starting the frontend I got a pageful of errors about
>>
>> Could not load "Droid Sans", loading "DejaVu Sans" instead.
>>
>> With that replacement automatically loaded the theme looks fine; the
>> only difference I notice from my el7 box is in the lower-case 'g'
>>
>> "Droid Sans" is specified in MythCenter-wide osd.xml and base.xml It's
>> in the mythtv tarball, but in xenial repos I can only find
>> droid-sans-fallback, which seems to be about oriental scripts; see
>>
>> /usr/share/doc/fonts-droid-fallback/README.Debian
>>
>> If I try to uninstall that, most of mythtv goes too.  I haven't done a
>> comprehensive search and I suppose Droid Sans might be in some
>> mythtv-'buntu package that I have chosen not to install.  At present
>> there are 7 Droid entries in /usr/share/mythtv, all broken links.
>>
>> For a quieter life I have edited my copy of the theme in ~/.mythtv to
>> use "DejaVu Sans" immediately - but not on my RH-based systems.  Is
>> there a general fix?
>>
>> John P
>
> The fonts are in git, in the mythtv/themes/fonts directory. "make
> install" puts them into /usr/share/mythtv/fonts. I have a bunch of ttf
> files there including seven Droid fonts. I don't know from which package
> these are installed, but I assume there is something wrong with your
> build or your packages if the fonts are not there.
>
> Peter

This is v29.0-39-gdabbbbe from the PPA

mythtv-common has Depends:
         fonts-liberation | ttf-liberation,
          fonts-droid-fallback | fonts-droid | ttf-droid,
          ttf-dejavu,

I reinstalled the fonts-droid-fallback package, which doesn't provide
the links.  fonts-droid and ttf-droid are apparently not found, which
explains why trying to uninstall fonts-droid-fallback would remove all
of myth.

It looks to me as if the package builder script is not trying to connect
to the fonts directory in git mythtv/themes/fonts

John