[mythtv-users] Rsync test system

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 6 20:12:35 UTC 2017

On 10/06/2017 02:24 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> Thanks Peter this looks good, as far as copying the system, but I want
> to end up with a dual boot system so editing the /etc/fstab, to change
> the first boot drive is probably not for me. After the copy I'm
> tempted to then run update-grub, is this too easy? I could edit
> /etc/default/grub to change boot order as required. I want this setup
> in place for more than just 0.28 to 0.29 Also for all future system
> and myth upgrades.
> Its occurring to me that I will have to edit /etc/fstab to auto mount
> the new partition. Am I missing anything else?

I do use this for setting up a multi-boot system. Each partition is a
complete copy so each partition has its own /etc/fstab which must be
edited to use the correct root partition (i.e. itself). After making the
copy and editing that fstab you should be able to boot into your
original system and then run sudo update-grub.

If you want to switch your default boot partition you should reinstall
grub into the new default partition.