[mythtv-users] Rsync test system

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 15:20:10 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-05 01:38 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:

> IIUIC, cloning sda1 to sda2 would result in two partitions with the same
> UUID, and cause boot problems.

Yes, cloning the partitions would result in duplicate UUIDs.  You can
resolve the issue by using a tool such as GParted to create a new UUID
for one of the partitions, and then edit the appropriate files to update
for the new UUID (e.g., /etc/fstab).

> Curtis, are you saying to "rsync" like the wiki suggests for system backup
> without most/all of the "excludes" and then run grub-update?

I'm not sure which wiki article to which you are referring.

Basically if you copy the content of the partition (all files,
directories, links, etc) similar to a clone operation, then you can
re-install the grub boot loader so that your new partition will boot.

Curtis