[mythtv-users] Starting mythfrontend with systemd?

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 22:29:36 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Created the file with:
>>
>>         [Unit]
>>         Description=the open source DVR, MythTV
>>         After=mysql.service
>>         BindsTo=graphical-session.target
>>
>>         [Service]
>>         Environment=DISPLAY=%i
>>         ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythfrontend
>>
>>         [Install]
>>         WantedBy=graphical-session.target
>>
>> Then ran systemctl enable mythtv@:0.service
>>
>> Rebooted and the frontend didn't start. did a journalctl -b | grep myth
>> and it shows the backend starting up but not the frontend.
>>

> I'm not sure if the service even fired off but I think you still want to
> keep "After=graphical-session.target" as well...
>
> As far as checking I would try:
>
> systemctl status mythtv@:0.service
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Okay for completeness, this is the current frontend service file after your
suggestion:

        [Unit]
        Description=the open source DVR, MythTV
        After=mysql.service graphical-session.target
        BindsTo=graphical-session.target

        [Service]
        Environment=DISPLAY=%i
        ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythfrontend

        [Install]
        WantedBy=graphical-session.target

Frontend still did not start after boot.

ian at buster:~$ systemctl status mythtv@:0.service
â mythtv@:0.service - the open source DVR, MythTV
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mythtv at .service; enabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)