[mythtv-users] Rsync test system

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 19:38:04 UTC 2017

On Oct 5, 2017 1:09 PM, "Curtis Gedak" <gedakc at gmail.com> wrote:

On 2017-10-05 10:49 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> Do I have to first install xenial on the second
> partition then restore the rsync backup, or is there a way to make the
> restore bootable?

Assuming that you have restored all partition content to another drive,
you can make the new drive bootable.

There are likely many instructions on the Internet for how to do this.
Following is a link to one I wrote for GParted:

GParted Manual - Fixing Operating System Boot Problems
https://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=help-manual#gparted
-fix-operating-system-boot-problems

Curtis

IIUIC, cloning sda1 to sda2 would result in two partitions with the same
UUID, and cause boot problems.

Curtis, are you saying to "rsync" like the wiki suggests for system backup
without most/all of the "excludes" and then run grub-update?