[mythtv-users] Starting mythfrontend with systemd?

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Thu Oct 5 18:36:18 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 08:08:25PM +0200, Alec Leamas wrote:

> On 05/10/17 16:31, Darac Marjal wrote:
>
> > Yes. After mythbackend probably makes more sense than after mysql, as
> > mythbackend probably won't come ready until it has access to the
> > database.
>
> As long as mythbackend don't have socket activation (or other systemd
> interfaces implemented) mythbackend might very well be started in the
> systemd sense without making a socket available.

I have placed a dependency on mysql (well, mariadb actually) for the
frontend, because it seems that if the frontend starts up first, I get a
notification that it cannot talk to the backent, but that goes away when
the backend starts.  This doesn't cause any problems, but if mariadb isn't
running before the frontend starts, the frontend goes immediately into
settings configuration.  It would be really nice if it went to a screen
saying that it can't establish a connection to the database server, rather
than trying to re-run the setup.  Especially if the database server is
remote to the frontend.

BTW, I have added a mythbackend.service.d/local.conf file to add mythbackend
information not in the mythbackend.service file.  In particular, I have
added there a dependency on mariadb.service.  I have also added a
Restart=always directive, but I *still* run into cases where
mythbackend.service has failed but not restarted.  It doesn't happen
often, but still I don't understand why it is sitting in failed and not
restarting.

marcus hall
marcus at tuells.org