[mythtv-users] Starting mythfrontend with systemd?

Thu Oct 5 08:44:23 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 03:08:39AM +0200, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>Hoi Ian,
>
>Wednesday, October 4, 2017, 11:53:06 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Sorry for all the recent posts, but after running MythTV since
>> 2011, the upgrade to 29/16.04 has tossed a few curveballs at me.
>> Most things have been smooth but there's a few small issues, perhaps
>> due to the fact that the previous Mythbuntu ISO install handled so many tasks for you.
>

>> In order to start the mythfrontend on my combined FE/BE at boot I
>> added the mythfrontend command to Sessions and Starup. But it's hit
>> and miss as to whether it starts up before the backend/mysql are
>> fully up. If it starts before then, even the subsequent retries seem
>> to be failing the dbawake test, even though mythbackend is running and connected to mysql.
>

>> Looking at
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Frontend#Starting_the_Frontend,
>> I don't see any mention of scripting the startup.
>

>> Should the Frontend be started with systemd instead and if so is
>> there a recommended service file that waits for the backend and
>> mysql to be fully functioning before starting mythfrontend?
>

>> Thanks.
>

>If you want to be sure the backend is up add a sleep command to your
>frontend startup script. Like sleep 5 to wait 5 seconds, which should
>be more then enough.

I hate to be cruel, but it's advice like this which made sysvinit the
slow, clunky nightmare that it was. Why five seconds? If the database is
ready, why wait? What if the database is doing repairs, will five
seconds be enough?

The following should be a suitable start:

	[Unit]
	Description=the open source DVR, MythTV
	After=graphical-session.target
	BindsTo=graphical-session.target

	[Service]
	Environment=DISPLAY=%i
	ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythfrontend

	[Install]
	WantedBy=graphical-session.target

This should start mythtv when you log in (WantedBy) and kill mythtv when
you log out (BindsTo). Save this as /etc/systemd/system/mythtv at .service,
then run "systemctl enable mythtv@:0.service" for display :0.

All information cadged from
https://bitbucket.org/KaiSforza/systemd-user-units/wiki/X-Applications

--