[mythtv-users] Starting mythfrontend with systemd?

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 02:45:02 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 10/04/2017 05:53 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
>
>> Sorry for all the recent posts, but after running MythTV since 2011, the
>> upgrade to 29/16.04 has tossed a few curveballs at me. Most things have
>> been smooth but there's a few small issues, perhaps due to the fact that
>> the previous Mythbuntu ISO install handled so many tasks for you.
>>
>> In order to start the mythfrontend on my combined FE/BE at boot I added
>> the mythfrontend command to Sessions and Starup. But it's hit and miss as
>> to whether it starts up before the backend/mysql are fully up. If it starts
>> before then, even the subsequent retries seem to be failing the dbawake
>> test, even though mythbackend is running and connected to mysql.
>>
>> Looking at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Frontend#Starting_th
>> e_Frontend, I don't see any mention of scripting the startup.
>>
>> Should the Frontend be started with systemd instead and if so is there a
>> recommended service file that waits for the backend and mysql to be fully
>> functioning before starting mythfrontend?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> I don't understand why the startup is not working. It should be retrying
> until it gets a successful connection. Perhaps there is an incorrect
> setting in config.xml, although I would expect it to always fail in that
> case. Does it connect if you select Retry on the startup page after it has
> failed?

When it fails, the screen that come up has a progess bar and Retry, Setup,
Exit and I think one more I can't remember right now. Looking in the
frontend log it tries several times during the progress bar:

Oct  4 17:31:19 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:849 (TestDBconnection) Start up testing connections. DB ,
BE , attempt 0, status dbAwake
Oct  4 17:31:20 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:849 (TestDBconnection) Start up testing connections. DB ,
BE , attempt 1, status dbAwake
Oct  4 17:31:25 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:849 (TestDBconnection) Start up testing connections. DB ,
BE , attempt 2, status dbAwake
Oct  4 17:31:30 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:849 (TestDBconnection) Start up testing connections. DB ,
BE , attempt 3, status dbAwake
Oct  4 17:31:35 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:849 (TestDBconnection) Start up testing connections. DB ,
BE , attempt 4, status dbAwake
Oct  4 17:31:40 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:849 (TestDBconnection) Start up testing connections. DB ,
BE , attempt 5, status dbAwake
Oct  4 17:31:45 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:849 (TestDBconnection) Start up testing connections. DB ,
BE , attempt 6, status dbAwake
Oct  4 17:31:50 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:849 (TestDBconnection) Start up testing connections. DB ,
BE , attempt 7, status dbAwake
Oct  4 17:31:55 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:849 (TestDBconnection) Start up testing connections. DB ,
BE , attempt 8, status dbAwake
Oct  4 17:32:00 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:849 (TestDBconnection) Start up testing connections. DB ,
BE , attempt 9, status dbAwake
Oct  4 17:32:05 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:849 (TestDBconnection) Start up testing connections. DB ,
BE , attempt 10, status dbAwake
Oct  4 17:32:11 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1784]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:968 (TestDBconnection) Start up failure. host , status
dbAwakeFail

I checked and both backend and mysql were running but the few times this
has happened it would still fail after hitting Retry. Never had this issue
before, my Mythbuntu install just started fine since 2011. I didn't even
know the was an "attempting to connect to database"screen. :-)

I'll try Hika's suggestion and do a startup script with a sleep.