[mythtv-users] Starting mythfrontend with systemd?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 02:44:43 UTC 2017

On 10/04/2017 08:08 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Ian,
>
> Wednesday, October 4, 2017, 11:53:06 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Sorry for all the recent posts, but after running MythTV since
>> 2011, the upgrade to 29/16.04 has tossed a few curveballs at me.
>> Most things have been smooth but there's a few small issues, perhaps
>> due to the fact that the previous Mythbuntu ISO install handled so many tasks for you.
>
>> In order to start the mythfrontend on my combined FE/BE at boot I
>> added the mythfrontend command to Sessions and Starup. But it's hit
>> and miss as to whether it starts up before the backend/mysql are
>> fully up. If it starts before then, even the subsequent retries seem
>> to be failing the dbawake test, even though mythbackend is running and connected to mysql.
>
>> Looking at
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Frontend#Starting_the_Frontend,
>> I don't see any mention of scripting the startup.
>
>> Should the Frontend be started with systemd instead and if so is
>> there a recommended service file that waits for the backend and
>> mysql to be fully functioning before starting mythfrontend?
>
>> Thanks.
>
> If you want to be sure the backend is up add a sleep command to your
> frontend startup script. Like sleep 5 to wait 5 seconds, which should
> be more then enough.

To be sure the backend is up and running (not still starting up)
consider the following, probably without the echos:

ATTEMPTS=20
BACKEND='yourBackendHostNameOrIP'

for TRIES in $(seq $ATTEMPTS); do
     curl --silent --max-time 1 $BACKEND:6544/Myth/GetHostName > /dev/null
     if [ $? = 0 ]; then
         echo "$BACKEND is up"
         break
     fi