[mythtv-users] Replacemnt for HDPVR

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Nov 28 18:10:44 UTC 2017

On 11/28/17 11:25 AM, Gerald Brandt wrote:

> On 2017-11-27 06:25 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>> On 11/27/2017 06:18 PM, John P Poet wrote:
>>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 3:57 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net
>>> <mailto:david at istwok.net>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 04:33:01PM -0600, Gerald Brandt wrote:
>>>     > I have two HDPVR's and two Motorola DCT-6200's. The HDPVRs
>>>     seem to be
>>>     > getting more and more finicky as the years pass. If I keep my
>>>     6200s, is
>>>     > there an alternate choice for the HDPVRs?
>>>
>>>     1. Check the power adapter and replace if needed.  The HD-PVR power
>>>     adapters are notorious for failing and causing sporadic issues
>>>     as they
>>>     fail.
>>>
>>>     2. Add a fan.  Some units, particularly the earlier ones, could get
>>>     too warm.
>>>
>>>     3. Wait for Johm Poet to chime in here on the status of his work
>>>     with
>>>     the HD-PVR2s
>>>

>>> Sigh.  I supposed I should go ahead and finish the code I mostly
>>> have working for the HD-PVR2. I kinda lost interest while waiting
>>> for Hauppauge to add surround sound support to their linux
>>> "driver".  I probably have a few weekends worth of work to get the
>>> current capabilities published.  I am unlikely to have time to work
>>> on it until after the holidays.
>>>
>>> Note, though, that this is unlikely to be something that can be
>>> /just/ included with MythTV, since the Hauppauge "driver" is full of
>>> copyright notices from the various chip manufacturers.   To get it
>>> working to the extent that I have, required patching the "driver"
>>> code, so I basically will have to make that patch available, and
>>> provide instructions telling people how to make it work.
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> John
>>
>> How about supporting something like this instead of HDPVR2? This is a
>> USB HDMI capture device. There are several of them around. Some, like
>> the below item,  advertise Linux support and apparently work with
>> standard webcam drivers.
>>
>> http://a.co/aXQAUg5
>>
>> I think it would need a recorder in MythTV to encode and store as a
>> TS file.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Is there anything out there that will do HDMI to ethernet with H264
> encoding? I found this, but I don't have the knowledge to answer my
> own question...
> https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extender-Ethernet-Transmitter/dp/B01MDRYF9Y

While it might be possible to write software to save the H.264 stream
output by this device, there are two problems:

1. Since their documentation wasn't clear, I called their tech support
line, and they confirmed that this device only carries 2-channel PCM
audio. This may not matter to you, but it definitely does to me.

2. Depending on how your content provider (cable company) has set the
HDCP flags on the channels you watch, this device may not work at all,
even for video.