[mythtv-users] Replacemnt for HDPVR

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 23:18:11 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 3:57 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 04:33:01PM -0600, Gerald Brandt wrote:
> > I have two HDPVR's and two Motorola DCT-6200's. The HDPVRs seem to be
> > getting more and more finicky as the years pass. If I keep my 6200s, is
> > there an alternate choice for the HDPVRs?
>
> 1. Check the power adapter and replace if needed.  The HD-PVR power
> adapters are notorious for failing and causing sporadic issues as they
> fail.
>
> 2. Add a fan.  Some units, particularly the earlier ones, could get
> too warm.
>
> 3. Wait for Johm Poet to chime in here on the status of his work with
> the HD-PVR2s

Sigh.  I supposed I should go ahead and finish the code I mostly have
working for the HD-PVR2. I kinda lost interest while waiting for Hauppauge
to add surround sound support to their linux "driver".  I probably have a
few weekends worth of work to get the current capabilities published.  I am
unlikely to have time to work on it until after the holidays.

Note, though, that this is unlikely to be something that can be *just*
included with MythTV, since the Hauppauge "driver" is full of copyright
notices from the various chip manufacturers.   To get it working to the
extent that I have, required patching the "driver" code, so I basically
will have to make that patch available, and provide instructions telling
people how to make it work.

John