[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi audio centre and sub swapped

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 00:47:37 UTC 2017

On 11/26/2017 05:03 PM, Andrew Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently tried to start watching the BBC's Blue Planet 2, but
> unfortunately I have a problem with the audio. It's broadcast in 6
> channel AAC which my onkyo can't decode, so for the first time I'm
> using multichannel PCM.
>
> Front left and right, and rear left and right all work fine. The
> centre and sub woofer are swapped though, which doesn't do David
> Attenborough's voice any favours. I can confirm this using the speaker
> test screen, which also uses multichannel PCM.
>
> I'm using a Raspberry Pi and OpenMax audio. Is there any way to
> correct the channel mapping? I suspect I might be able to use the
> vcgencmd hdmi_channel_map command, but I've no idea how to generate
> the correct value.
>
> Any insights you can provide would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Does the HDMI connection go direct to the Onkyo? If you are using a
toslink optical or coax connection, they don't support multi-channel PCM.

Make sure you have selected the correct number of speakers in the
"Speaker configuration". You can also try switching this between 5.1 and
7.1. Different selections will change the way the channels are mapped.

Another thing you can try - there are two ways to get digital audio from
Raspberry pi, using ALSA or OpenMAX audio (see
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Digital_Audio_with_ALSA and
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Digital_Audio). I believe the
ALSA method is superior, so I would try that.

Peter