[mythtv-users] when and how to upgrade to 0.29

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Sun Nov 26 10:39:07 UTC 2017

So I have a healthy mythtv backend working on mythbuntu 16.04 with 0.28 with all the latest 0.28 updates. My tuners are Hauppauge HVR-2250 and HD HomeRun Connect; all ATCS OTA recording.

Since I have cut the cord from satellite TV I depend on mythtv more than ever.  So I need upgrading to 0.29 to not cause any issues.  So it brings up a few questions:

1.  Should I upgrade to 0.29; what benefit would I get other than I'm assuming future work will be done on 0.29 and not 0.28?

2.  I don't record much during the day so I would have 8 hours during most days that the backend would be idle. I'll assume that's enough time, easily.

3. Is the process:

    do an additional database backup and save it to a USB memory stick.

    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.29

    sudo apt update

    sudo apt upgrade